Visa to Spain for all trips

A visa to Spain is required for all trips if the length of stay is more than 90 days. You may also need a tourist visa even for a short stay if your country of citizenship is not subject to the Schengen Agreement. The Schengen Agreement allows citizens of covered countries to travel freely between European member states for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes. To get a tourist visa, you must plan your trip in advance and contact the nearest embassy.


In addition to the general necessary documentation, it must be accompanied by other additional papers, depending on the purpose of the application.

List of additional information required for most general purposes:

Tourist / Guest Visa:

  • an invitation letter from family or friends with an address and telephone number, if applicable;
  • bank statement for the last 6 months;
  • passport copies.

Business goals:

  • an invitation letter from the company you will visit and their detailed address with the dates of the visit;
  • a certificate from the employer indicating / permitting a business trip;
  • If trade relations between the two companies previously existed, it is necessary to provide evidence of such events;
  • bank statement for the last 6 months;

Memorandum and Charter in original certified copy (registered in public companies) Trade license (first issue and current renewal), certificate of ownership / partnership.

Regarding the costs incurred by the applicant, being in the Schengen zone, the employer or partner must indicate the cost in a letter or invitation.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-2.jpg (140 KB)

Trip planning

Before contacting the authorities, it is recommended that you plan your trip in advance so that you have time to transfer data and accept approval before departure.

You will need to provide detailed information about the route of travel, so the sooner you specify the date of your position, the better.

Check the validity of the passport. After you decide when you plan to go to the state, make sure that you will not need to renew your passport. If your passport is not valid for at least three months after the planned departure date, you may be denied entry.

The government of the Russian Federation recommends that you ensure that the passport remains in effect for at least six months after the planned departure date.

Book your flight. You will not be able to get a tourist visa if you have not booked a flight arriving in Spain and leaving it. You must arrive and leave within 90 days.

If you plan to stay more than 90 days, you still need to prove that the tickets are purchased in both directions. Need original or photocopy.
Even if you are flying to another country, before you fly home, you must have specific information, including the numbers of all flights, when you arrive and depart.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-3.jpg (200 KB)


Organize your stay. To obtain a tourist permit, you must provide proof that you will have a place to stay throughout your stay in the state. As a rule, if you are traveling as a tourist, you should book a hotel room.

If you plan to stay with friends or family who live in Spain, they must be citizens or legal residents of this country. You will need an invitation letter from them, which was issued by the local police station.

Having your own home, of course, will be a big plus. After all, it will be much easier for you to obtain a residence permit if you plan to stay for permanent residence. And in the end it is a very profitable investment (market growth of more than 50% in 10 years) and comfort.

Medical insurance

If you are planning to travel on a tourist visa, you must hand in a copy of the travel insurance and medical insurance policy along with the application. You must be insured for at least 30,000 euros.

The policy must be valid throughout the entire stay and for all Schengen states. Talk with a travel agent if you are not sure where to get the appropriate insurance.

The policy should cover 100 percent of all medical care, with no deductions or surcharges.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-4.jpg (57 KB)

Applying for a Schengen

Determine if you need short-term permission. If you are a citizen of an EU country, USA, Canada or some other countries, you will not need the right to enter as a tourist for 90 days or less.

A full list of countries for which citizens need a Schengen visa for travel for a period of less than 90 days can be found in the Internet resource. The site contains fully relevant information.


You can get a schengen application form for a tourist in the office near you. It is possible to download the form from the website of the Schengen administration department.

In the questionnaire there is a place where you can enter your name, address and date of birth. You must also include your passport and citizenship, employment and financial status.

The application also requires you to specify the dates when you plan to enter and leave Spain, other Schengen states that you will visit, and where you plan to stay at the time of your stay. You must also indicate the reason for the visit.

For most of the information you list on the form, you must provide a protocol to validate your statements.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-10.jpg (497 KB)

Attach relevant documentation.

Along with the statement, you must provide copies of your itinerary, health certificate and insurance, as well as information about income.
A list of required papers can be purchased at the prefecture or by visiting the website of the consulate. Take note of the documents to be translated into Spanish.

As a rule, you will need a letter from the employer, which contains data on work and annual income. The government wants to make sure that you can support yourself during your stay and that you are not planning to violate their immigration laws. If the seeker is not self-employed, you must submit a photocopy of your latest tax return.

Submission of information

Schengen gives the opportunity to enter any of the states participating in the Schengen Agreement. However, you need to apply for a permit at the consulate of the main destination if you plan to visit more than one locality.

No need to personally visit the office to transfer the application for Schengen. It is possible to send it by mail, but make sure there is enough time left for it to be delivered and processed before the trip begins.

You can send a sentence to the provision only at the consulate or embassy, ​​where you are a legal resident. For example, if a person is not a legal resident of the Russian Federation, he will be denied the opportunity to submit an application to a Spanish office in Portugal.

An application for a Schengen must be accompanied by a non-refundable visa fee of 64 euros. This fee is paid in cash or by bank transfer only.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-6.jpg (198 KB)

Wait for approval

From the day the embassy receives the maxim, it usually takes one or two weeks for its approval. This may take longer depending on the time of year, or if the mission requires additional data from you.

Applying for a long-term type

Determine what type of permission you need. If you plan to visit the state for more than 90 days, there are several different classifications that can be applied in a particular situation. View these classifications on the website of the representative office or visit it and ask for help.

For example, if there is a desire to spend part of your pension, you need to submit an application for a 'residency permit for retirement.' With the help of which you can stay in the area for more than 90 days, but does not allow you to work or engage in any other activity.

If you are a digital nomad who slowly travels around Europe and plans to spend more than 90 days in Spain, you need a 'Residence permit for investors and' self-employment. ' Permission gives you the right to live and work in the locality if you have contracts. You will not be able to work for Spanish employers while you are in the locality with this permit.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-7.jpg (129 KB)

Fill out a national visa

You can purchase a photocopy of the documentation provided by visiting the office of the prefecture or the embassy nearest you, or you can download the form from the organization’s website and print it.

Contacting requires personal and civil data such as name, address, place of birth, and state of citizenship.

Additional information will depend on the type of permit, but usually includes financial and employment information, as well as health and health insurance information.

Collect relevant documentation

As a rule, you will need documentation to back up all the information that was specified in the dictum. The types of required documents will vary depending on the classification of permits for which you applied.

All permits will need to provide proof of health insurance, which lasts for the entire stay, as well as a certificate from your doctor that you do not have mental or infectious diseases and are not dependent on medications. This certificate must be translated into Spanish.

You must provide your passport along with two passport size photos. Your passport must be valid for at least six months.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-8.jpg (185 KB)

Consulate visit

If you submit an application for permission to stay for more than 90 days, you need to submit the documentation in person at the consulate or embassy nearest you. To find the nearest embassy or consulate, you can visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. In general, there you can find all relevant information for you.

Take with you all your documents, the original appeal and one copy of the documentation. You must bring a photo ID and proof of residence.
It is advisable to wear conservative clothes, as an employee of the representative office can talk with you. It would seem, not significant, but this process is quite subjective and the final decision lies on the decision of a particular person.

Submit your application

It is necessary to submit an application and all documents to an employee at a consulate or embassy along with money or money order. The amount of the required fee depends on the country of your citizenship.

A citizen of the Russian Federation will pay $ 64. If the person is not a citizen of Russia, Ukraine, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro or Moldova, in this case you need to pay $ 38.

This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether your application is approved or rejected.

visa-to-spain-for-all-trips-9.jpg (160 KB)

Wait until the appeal is reviewed. It usually takes three to four weeks for a consulate to approve a permit for a longer stay and, if they need more information, it may take longer. Keep this in mind when planning a trip and do not delay with this matter.

As soon as the application is reviewed, you will be issued an admission, and you will receive a temporary residence card upon arrival in Spain.